Friday, January 29, 2010

A HOLE IN THE WALL

As you can see I have been busy again... But this time I did something really useful for the up stairs...Notice the hole on the wall... It will bring heat from down stairs when the fireplace is on.

In our lounge we have a fireplace that works really well, the only problem was that the heat normally goes up but not up stairs due to the high sealing in the lounge area and much lower sealing in the kitchen area, so the heat stays in the high area of the lounge 4-4,5m. The only solution to this problem was to brake a hole from our guest room up stairs to the lounge area, notice the hole high up on the wall. It did not take too long to get through the wall, brick wall and a empty space between and an other brick wall, just needed long tools to do that from our room up stairs. I used a long drill and some other longer tools and hammer to brake the wall.  I tried to make the hole just the size of a aluminium pipe that I added in the hole.




Wet newspaper keeping the pipe, I had to brake the hole a little bit higher than I first planned, because I could not brake through the concrete between the bricks, really hard, the red hollow brick was really easy...
To fix the wall after adding that pipe, I used a tip from a TV program in France "Coté Maison". The plaster wont stay if the space is too big, so in the program they were using wet newspaper to stuff the wall, that what I did around the pipe and this also help to keep to pipe in the right place, ones the newspaper was dry...

I needed to wait for next day... I ruffly put plaster on the top of that dried newspaper that has become hard, so it was easy to add the plaster. Ones this plaster had dried I sanded it down smoothening it to the level of the wall... then added some more plaster to small areas that still needed to fill in. Then the last sanding and cleaning after the plaster had dried and few coats of paint... And Voilà it was ready... when we heating downstair I measured that we can get up to 30 degrees Celcius of heat through that hole and we don't need to use the gas heater so much... The other side has to wait for a while that I have somebody with me here to help, because it is really high...

No comments: